Are these veggies feisty or what?! 😉
Ok, I’ve got a confession to make: normally I don’t like stuffed peppers so much. I’m always disappointed when I order a vegetarian dish in a restaurant and once again end up with a stuffed bell pepper on my plate (often stuffed with… yes, more bell pepper). So here I am, feeling kind of embarrassed, sharing a stuffed pepper recipe myself! But please don’t rule out this dish. I promise, this one is great! 🙂
I love the popping colors of the red peppers, yellow lemon zest and green basil leaves. But most of all, I love the yummy rich flavors. Wonderful to serve as an entree or side-dish. Besides serving it at dinner, it can also be a great lunch alternative or snack! Just toast some slices of bread and spread them with the cheese mixture and sprinkle over some chopped roasted pepper. Enjoy!
Stuffed Sweet Peppers
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Total Time: 30 min
- 4 (Italian) Sweet Peppers
- Ricotta (250g/9oz/1cup)
- Soft Goat Cheese (125g/4oz)
- 2 Shallots
- 1 Clove Garlic
- A handful fresh basil leaves (15g)
- 1 Lemon (zest and 1 tablespoon juice)
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise, take out the seeds and arrange the peppers on an oven tray.
- Finely chop the shallots, galic clove and most of the basil leaves (save some for garnish). To make the filling, put the ricotta, goat cheese, shallots, garlic and basil in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste, and whisk thoroughly.
- Spoon about two tablespoons of the cheese mixture into each pepper and press in so it fills them evenly. Place them in the oven and roast until tender, for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with some basil leaves and lemon zest.